Tuesday, November 28, 2006

The Big Noisy Picture: Armin Van Buuren Rave @ Zouk, KL

One of the world’s top DJs was in town & being the trance junkie I am, I went with Teks & his two boys (Drew & XXX Guy).

I was excited! I have been looking forward to the event for many weeks! It’s a pity that AJ started the night in a nastier mood than usual. The week had been long & tiring. Massive work loads & uncooperative colleagues make for a very stressed out/ anti social AJ. I didn’t even manage to get a good nap before getting ready.

The warm up set was fucking fantastic. The DJ knew how to hype the anxious crowd with big hits from big names. Ashamedly, Drew pointed out my song of the year, Tracking Treasure Down (Gabriel & Dresden) before I noticed it. One vodka lime & I was still cranky. Later, we got more alcohol (and other necessities) & I loosened up enough not to mind the claustrophobia inducing over crowded setting. My style being cramped by some dumbass hollering at his babe on the podium is a small price to pay to hear one of my Idol’s play live. Its not that his ass didn’t get in the way of my moves, just that I wouldn’t let it bother me.

Armin showed the crowd why he has been nominated the number 2 DJ in the whole freaking world. I can’t remember any of the tracks, but not because I was too high. His style has always been less vocals driven but more of amazing beats. I most definitely must have herd some of the tracks played that night before, but I’ve always listened to his albums as a whole, disregarding most of the titles. Sometimes it’s about the whole picture rather than the small pieces, no?

Towards the end, when I could not stand, I found an empty table with a stool to perch upon. Out of nowhere, this clearly straight boy came up to me and started chatting me up.

Say it with me, WTF?

No, I wasn’t hallucinating and he didn’t mistake me for a very very (very) beautiful girl either. He needed a table to impress his chick & I had the only empty table with a good view. They joined me & we had a decent conversation about clubs, music & girls on the podium. No I wasn’t pretending to be straight, its just that the girls did their moves so much better (and were more sexier) than they guys. Shit like bad harcuts, fugly clothes & too much body combat class does happen.
My new friend even gave me some gin. I hate gin. But somehow, as a token of friendship (especially when someone else is paying), it tastes alright. In hindsight, I should have at least remembered his name.

Unfortunately, the gin kicked in late. And I was more drunk than I realized and almost fell asleep whiles driving back from Tek’s place. Yeah, stupid I know. Even if I parked in the wrong spot, I did get back safely. And next time, I’ll make sure there isn’t a next time.

Although not technically a real rave, this will most likely be my last rave for the 2006. It was truly a good finale to a good year of raves for me. Nobody can take that away from me, well, unless they knock me over the head giving me amnesia…
Even if I almost killed myself, I didn’t and life goes on…


Dek, Dek, Dek, Dek, Tum, Tum, Tum…
Bam, Bam, Bam, Bam…
(Layered with) Tiu, Tiu Tiuuuu & Wheeeeeeee!
Armin Van Buuren~ Something something

(This is as close as I can get to what I herd. I’m no professional, bite me!)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Comically Sad said...

i love AVB too. first heard him when i was in ibiza, was hooked eversince. cant believe i didnt know he was gonna be at zouk! damnit!

12:53 AM  
Blogger Francis Ford Faggola said...

I dun like straight clubs and it's been a long time since I've been to Zouk. So not a place for a fugly like me eh?

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see hanging octopuses!

I see dangly spiky durian like thingies!

I see pulsing bright lights!

I see AVB!

Wheeeeeeeeee :D

Drew

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

armin rawked yo. hehe.

11:24 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

k, serves you right for not paying attention to my posts, lol! I usually post a bit about the raves I plan to go to..

holden, you've SO CLEARLY cornered the chub market? How can you be fugly? But its certainly not a place to pick up guys

drew, i conqueer! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

teks, you rawk man, you rawk.. tee hee hee.. (you've got to respond)

8:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know i do *flips hair*

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home