Monday, August 15, 2005

The Scar!

hELLO y'all!

I'm back from my home town, ready to post again. Instead of ranting on the work that piled up during my absence, I will talk about the incredible book I read.

Why? Because a fair part of it read just like a blog...

Its The Scar by China Mieville. Any guy with China as a name must have had a pretty interesting childhood, or so I assume. But this guy also has an amazing imagination..

This book begins with a linguist fleeing for her life. And she is involuntarily taken to a floating city ala Water World, only bigger and badder. Stuck there with no escape, she struggles to get away but is caught up in the schemes and plots of others, who, just like her have selfish intentions. Doesn't sound too interesting?

Well, the selling point is that the plot is set in a alternate world where the laws of science work differently. The world is powered by steam technology instead of electricity & the planet is inhabited by many species that evolved very differently, eg, pirate-cactus-people who use monkeys to trim sails, bug-headed-people who communicate through sprays of chemicals, beuracratic-vampires, super intelligent mosquito people who have anus like mouths etc. Sounds weird?

It should, considering it is in a category called weird fiction... But I digress...

From begining to end, the main character is composing a letter... A long long letter about her life, just like a blog! Her letter tends to focus on events through her own eyes, which at times are really overly dramatised (just like a blog). She also tends describe the different horrors she has to go thru that she doesn't communicate to the rest of the world (just like a blog). More importantly, the letter is more or less her only unbiased source of release, (let's say it togather ~ just like a blog)!

So blogging is really like story telling, ain't it?

So if blogging is like story telling, and I seem to do ok at blogging (or so I'm told), why do I suck at my story telling job (or so I'm told)?

This post IS a rant after all... *OH WELL* there is always tomorrow...

I’m on a high, I’m on a high
There’s nothing more to it.
We are the sea and the sky
And the blue that runs through it, yeah.

And there are some who say there are so many things I need
So I run or I fight and I crawl or I scream and I bleed
I bleed, I bleed

Well, it’s a lie it’s a lie - don’t you believe it.
If you’re fine then you’re fine - it’s all how you see it.
Oh, there never will be no conspiracy of happiness.
I’m on a high I’m on a high
And there’s nothing more to it
I have the sun, it’s a star
Why should I refuse it

And there are so many reasons I could give you why I should be down
There’s not enough money or time and my love you’re not around
Around, around

But it’s a lie it’s a lie - don’t you believe it.
If you’re fine then you’re fine - it’s all how you see it.
Oh, there never will be no conspiracy of happiness.

You’re alive you’re alive - how else could you hear me?
You are fine, you are fine - there’s nothing worth fearing
’cause there never will be no conspiracy of happiness

I’m on a high, on a high
We are the sea and the sky
I’m on a high, on a high
I’m on a high

It’s a lie, it’s a lie don’t you believe it
’cause I’ve tried and I’ve tried, and I can’t really see it
Yeah, I’m trapped inside my conspiracy of happiness
Said I was yours, you were mine but I didn’t really mean it
And I lied and I lied
And I wish you hadn’t seen it
’cause I’m trapped inside my conspiracy of happiness
I’m on a high, on a high, there’s nothing more to it, yeah.

Duncan Sheik ~ On A High


4 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

What IS your story-telling job anyway? I'd always assumed that you're a journalist of some kind, working for a magazine.

6:42 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Actually, I sort of tell stories about pills and how they can make you a better person. Sick? Tired? Ugly? Anally Retentive? I have a wide range of miracles to cure all that, and problems you didnt even know you had....

9:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you!
» »

2:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read 1987 saab 900 turbo blowoff valve Macs dog toys freeze a bowl Free online scan virus Information special zyban threesome movies 96 ford turas parts Jeep j10 pickup digital printing

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home