Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Queen of the Fruit Flies

Or so that was her title one upon a time... But the history of oneD and me goes back way before that.

Sure enough tho, when I was 18 & first saw her, it was magical. It reminded me of an add... There she was, this beautiful bright eyed girl, head held up high, walking out of the college gates with the wind blowing through her long silky hair. I swear everyone paused as if to say "whats the secret to her confidence?"... (must be an absorbant sanitary pad)

But it was no secret that she was cold. She rarely talked to anyone outside her cliche and sometimes she had the snobbiest face on. She had every right to be. Cute boy friends, lots of cash, her own car etc.... it was like another teen movie....

But that all changed once I got to know her. It was my first bf that drew our paths togather. We started having lunch togather. The more I got to know about this girl, the more it amazed me how wrong my perception of her was. She was truly nice. She was genuine. She was real. She was incredibly smart. She could remember facts like noone else I knew. Not some porcelain doll too fragile to handle.

Our friendship grew & grew. Soon we were at the clubs dancing on the podiums doing the Podium Battle, the dance of the time. This dance involves a large group of people conquering as many podiums as they can and sort of having a dance-off-cat-calling competition. The prize? ~ Attention of the crowd. Lewd hand gestures & close body movement was always welcomed.

I began to learn more about her. Sure she had all the luxuries in life, but did she ever take anything for granted? Never. She worked as hard as the rest of us to keep her grades up. Never mean. Never vile.

One weekend, this dumbass named Nuj crashed oneD's car. It was bad. The repairs were expensive and without going into the details, it was messy. Nuj accused oneD of being drunk, scolded her mother & refused to pay. When his parents finally came up with the cash to pay for the damage, he spent it all on clothes. Most of our group hated his guts and refused to talk to him. But oneD out of the goodness of her heart actually talked to him like nothing had happened.

When I asked her about it all, she simply said "I can't help it, he looks so pitiful and noone is talking to him.."
I blurted out "thats because he has been such a bastard to you!"
oneD replied "but still..."

She was really kind hearted and sincere. And so she has remained for all these years... One joke that never ceasts to amaze me is that no matter how often I say it, she will react when I say "oneD, your hair is messy!" Imediately she would stroke it like a siamese cat licking its fur.

We stayed friends and studied in the same uni and took the same course. We spent more time togather and it really was fun. After a few years, she won a title in a beauty pageant and although most people would be high and mighty, we could still coax her into counting fruitflies (hence the title). Anyone one who has ever done lab genetics can tell you counting fruit flies is not fun. But she would do it for us (or was it for our lab reports?)

Lots of things began to change. She began appearing on the radio, she was modelling, acting etc. We saw less and less of her. But she still remained the same upbeat messy haired fruit fly queen in our hearts. She even became a supporting actress in several local sitcoms & appeared in adds. Still she would make time to spend with us.

She is also one of the few people I have come out to. We have shared secrets & jokes. I have even let her into my blogging life. Nowadays she can be found flying the friendly skies asking the eternal question "coffee or tea?"

I can't wait for her to return to my life, even for a heartbeat. I can't wait for her sincerity to inspire me. We have been friends for too long... has it been 6 years oneD? When will you pull the emergency stop button, float down from the heavens like the angel you are, bearing gifts of tobacco & booze?

lol. I love you & miss you!

We’ll sail the waters of many colours
We won’t need a compass, love will guide our way
Don’t need nobody, as long as we got each other
No need to hurry, we’ve got everyday
I wanna share the world with you, you see
Spring time in paris feels so good to me
Oh this is for me reality
So please make all my wishes come true
Janet Jackson ~ Runaway

8 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Niiiice. Hope you've told her about this blog, so she can read what you've written about her.

7:27 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

I did! She also has a blog but hasnt shared the link with me.. but i rather enjoy hearing about her life from the horses mouth..

10:05 AM  
Blogger Spot said...

can she come and sepak the damn fruit flies plaguing my cubicle??? i swear they're coming from HR thru the vents.

hi andro :) linked to here from kitjar's. thank you for your lovely comments here and over there. i like your farnee chook picture.

faster faster, another one! i'm too tired to update mine.

4:37 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

why thank you spot, glad you spotted my spot (one of those bad jokes I've been just waiting to use). If you couldn't tell, this post was modeled after your najah post... I've been lurking at your spot for the longest time..

9:08 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

Hi AJ,

I think this is my first comment.

Have been lurking at your blog for some time now. Have been since your livejournal days. Love the billie-goat posts back there ;P

I think I was linked from Willa, can't remember really.

Anyway, back to my point. Love this "People Post", as Spot calls it. And hope your dear friend returns soon.

Derek

10:20 AM  
Blogger Spot said...

actually i was most attracted to visit by your steamrolled chicken profile picture. :D

yeah, i figured that from your post before this one.

always glad to put a blog to string of anonymous IP addresses! :) so many lurkers!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no more flies!!!!!! but it was worth the lab reports. esp when it comes from the smartest student in the uni.

u know why i hang on u so much? because you are the nicest, most sincere friend i've ever met. i just like how u always let urself be yourself. u know, its a rare gem these days.and something about u is just so intriguing. can't put my finger on it.

and you always stand up for me!! love u!!!!!! muaks~!!!!

hmm. about my grades in uni.. i kinda think its misleading.. because.. hehe.. i am not exactly a model student.. and you don't really see me in class, do u? muahahahaha..

6:56 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

greetings everyone!

derek: I love the goat posts as well but i tend to goat over board with the baad goat jokes. Thanks!

spot: so you are into animalism eh? lol.

1d: The queen graces us with her presense. Sure you aren't a model student, but noone else I know could balance all that crap, wear a tiara and wave to the crowd! (thanks for promoting me btw)

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home