Tuesday, August 09, 2005

That grumpy old man

By the time I was born, my ah kong (grandfather on father's side) was already 70. And growing up with him was scary to say the least. Now at 25, I'll try to analyze our love-hate relationship....

Love-hate? Sometimes I couldnt help but love him for buying fire crackers or taking us out for KFC. Simultaneously, its hard to forget being tied to a tree for refusing to pick up leaves or being forced to eat fried kuey teow (flat rice noodles) 2 times everyday for 2 weeks just becaused he liked it.

Although he was never the first one to offer words of advice during a time of crisis, he was always ever willing to empty his wallet to resolve the problem. AJ needed a new pc? No problem. AJ wants to go Japan? Here is some pocket money. Need a car you say? Don't worry...

He wasn't the most agreeable person, but all of us (all the grand children) were thought to respect and put up with his whims and desires. And rightfully too. After all the shit he went through to bring up his family of 11 children, he is allowed to be cranky and mean sometimes.

He started life as most immigrants to Malaysia, a penniless cook on a merchant ship. Upon reaching Malaysia, he had a stroke of luck, i.e. someone gave him a pile of scrap metal. He sold the scrap and started trading in pork, rice and anything the masses would buy. Slowly but surely he climbed to the top and made his fortune. But he never stepped on anyones toes and always helped anyone who needed help. Despite his foul temper (almost as bad as mine), he always was ready to help any of his friends.

But being the oldest man in a small town is no fun. Trust me, all the years I have spent taking care of him, bringing him out to dinner, bringing him for rides, avoiding bringing him out for lunch, bringing him for haircuts, I learnt how misserable it can be to be truely old. On bad days he would whine, scream and even resort to physical abuse. On good days he would tell me stories of the past, how he took my amma (grandmother) down to town on the back of his bicycle, how he sailed to thailand to get rice for the family (and made a quick buck) and even advice on children.

He told me not to have too many children. When asked why he had so many children, he plainly told me that there just wasn't any contraceptives. (LOL)

Shrewd, manipulative & foreward thinking.

Thats my ah kong, the grumpy old man that screams at everyone. The story must end here for now, because you see, he just passed away and I must return to take care of the living. He would want that.

Anything I wanted to say to him before he went away?
Not a word. It was all said before.

Live and learn
Well the years they flew
And we never knew
We were foolish then
We would never tire
And that little fire
Is still alive in me
It will never go away
Can’t say goodbye to yesterday
[can’t say goodbye]
Madonna ~ This Used To Be My Playground

9 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

-hugs- My condolences.

I wish I had as many memories of my grandfathers.

5:10 PM  
Blogger k.t.x said...

i like that subtle compassion in anyone. your grandfather must hv lived a fulfilled live. my condolences..

9:10 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Hi AJ,

My condolences too.

That was very sweet of you to be around him and do stuff together when he was still around.

I never knew much of both of my grandfathers. I am glad you did.

*hugs*

10:08 PM  
Blogger mikey said...

*Hugs*

Our condolences.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Spot said...

condolences to you and your family for your loss.

treasure the memories.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you. Hang in there!

Shigeki

4:55 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

thanks everyone for the well wishes! life goes on :)

9:19 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

thanks everyone for the well wishes! life goes on :)

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Surveillance cameras and shoplifting Whitewall tires Effexor xr venlafaxine xr parker pennsylvania viking home appliance Advertising advrtising hits online internet Vintage peugeot motorcycles austin appliances used chlamydia zithromax dose Coin slot photo Subaru belt tensioner directions verizon wireless company and plans appliances appliance bc Y baseball players Ultrex induction cooktops order buy levaquin Didrex orderb today receive tomorrow saturday delivery How you can get high off vicodin

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home