Saturday, August 20, 2005

My first copy writing classs

Yesterday I attended my first copywriting class. Honestly I was hesitant & filled with anxiety. So far I have been dealing with amatuers. What if this professional found my style too atrocious to even begin to comment? What if? What if?

But as I waited for him to get there (he was late by 20mins) i got to know some of my classmates (many of which were very late as well).

All 3 other guys made that little contraption in my head go PING PING PING! Yeap gaydar works.

One was really cute in a Duff kinda way only he had the funniest goatee. It was like he tought he was too cute. So no matter how badly he groomed his facial hair, he would look good, ~WRONG! A quick shave and he would be so desirable. The other one was seemed like the typical geek gay guy. Eager to absorb. Eager to learn. Eager to bottom. Thinning hair line but if it was a dark room, I'd do him. The third was a slight chub. Dark skinned and typical features. He was typically typical. It was the way that he spoke that gave him that PLU-edge.

But HEY! who am I to judge? These people, just like me came to learn & learn we did. I'm sure they have more layers than just being a Duff look alike (as much a compliment as that is, I'm sure he rather be his own person).

For one of the assignments, we had to write an introduction about ourselves. This is mine~

I'm truly best described as one of Malaysia's best dishes, - Rojak. Just like this seemingly simple dish, what you see isn't what you get. Although you may thing you can see my true being underneath the thich layer of prawn paste, I'm certainly more complex. I'm serious yet jovial. I'm smart yet silly. I'm cool yet chaotic. Sometimes I enjoy understanding what makes people think, while other times I couldn't be bothered to give anyone a second glance.

The key to understanding who I am, is by understanding where I come from, where I am now & where I will be. Just like how the many ingredients in rojak were produce in Malaysia's rural towns so was I. I grew up in (insert name of my town), Johor; a town of diverse landscapes & people, held togather as a community by a common goal; - money. Equipped with my small-town upbringing I came to K.L., where I obtained my BSc in Biotechnology. Once I graduated, I wasn't sure what I wanted to apply myself at. Just like rojak, I have many different tastes. Each different yet the same.

Where will I be? Just like rojak I could recieve rave reviews or end up in the bin.


(bloggers note: Rojak is a fruit salad dish doused in thick smelly brown prawn paste & K.L. is Kuala Lumpur)

It's as if you've known me better than I ever knew myself
I love how you can tell
All the pieces, pieces, pieces of me
All the pieces, pieces, pieces of me

Ashlee Simpson ~ Pieces Of Me

So how do you guys think I rated for this assignment?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinning hair line but if it was a dark room, I'd do him.

Hahaha. so his bod is gorgeous but you can't look at him at day time? hehehe. Anyhow, copywriting sounds really hard as you have to be creative. I would sleep for the whole class :-) good luck to ya!

12:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know they put prawn paste into rojak. Isn't that some peanut sauce or something?

anyway, the goatee guy must be REALLY hot since he looks like Duff!. Duff! is so hot don't you think? hehehehe....

MD

9:05 AM  
Blogger Francis Ford Faggola said...

Dun mean to be anal (who am I kidding? we all love anal right?) but there are two wrong spellings in the assignment (togather, recieve).

Hope that's not in the paper you handed in...

I think copywriting is very hard and I am scared to venture into it...

10:13 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

Hey AJ

From biotechnology to copywriting? Wow ...

Just hope that you learn as much as you can at the class and be the best copywriter you can be.

But really, i think you will do well.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Copywriting eh? Well that brings back a whole slew of scary-ass memories! If it's the right job for you, advertising can be a great job - you feel like you're being paid to have fun. Me, I fell out of love with it. And I think there's no going back.

As for your essay - I'm surprised that you didn't mention the obvious 'Because I'm a fruit' connection :-p

5:24 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Thank you all for the ... er.. lovely comments?

shigeki: I'm a slut.. what can I say?

MD: Yes Duff is so hot I could cook an egg on his forehead...

holden: Why thank you! But you missed out produce (should be produced). I actually intentionally left the mistakes the way I made them in the class.

derek: Thanks for the vote of confidence.

jay: Actually I wanted to end it with "I'm so nutty" but I forgot.

The guy was kind enough to tell me I had great potential (I'm excellent actually)... You wouldnt think I would ask a question I didnt have a superb answer to would you?

10:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home